Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Southwestern Pot Roast


I'm going to admit something rather shameful: This is the first pot roast I have ever cooked in the oven.

Normally I like to just throw them in the slow cooker and call it a day. But no - this sounded so delicious and easy I decided to give it a go! (Although for what it's worth, I think it could easily be adapted to a slow cooker with a chuck roast and an additional can of beef broth.)

This recipe is from Publix Aprons, which I have discovered has many delicious recipes that generally appeal to my picky husband (with a few choice alterations.) The original recipe calls for pinto beans, but I left them out as I was serving this with mashed potatoes and that seemed like too much starch.  It also says to shred the roast, but I cut it in slices.

It was quite delicious and I will definitely be making it again! (Although, this time I won't eyeball the red pepper flakes - there is such a thing as TOO MUCH!) And a bit plus for me, it was easy and uses mostly things I have on hand. My favorite. =)

Ingredients
1 lb flank steak (or chuck roast)
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 (8-oz) package tri-pepper mix (fresh diced green, red, yellow bell peppers)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Aluminum foil

Prep
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Chop onion.
Steps
  1. Place meat in a baking pan. Combine tomatoes (undrained), onions, garlic, peppers, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; pour over meat. Cover with foil; bake 2–3 hours or until tender.
  2. Bake, uncovered, 5 more minutes just to brown a little. Slice and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment