Monday, January 14, 2013

What You Really Need Part 1: The Bare Neccessities

Okay, so I decided to make this post for those mommies to be in my life who are completely overwhelmed with the number of baby products on the market. Yes, I know, you're going to buy what you want to buy! I get it. I totally overbought because I wanted Miss Iz to have anything she could possibly ever need. But, if you want a no nonsense guide to the essentials, than please peruse these posts. =)

Okay, okay, I super stocked up...

Diapers + Wipes

This is pretty obvious. Whether you chose the cloth or disposable variety, you probably want some of these bad boys in your life. My only real advice here is if you're going disposable and you want to prepurchase (I did, we were going down to one income so I bought a pack or two every other week) then make sure you purchase from a place that will let you exchange them. (I carried 7 packs of size ones into Target to exchange... oops!)

My personal suggestion is to get the big 300+ diaper box (I procure mine from Costco.) I would get 1 box of size ones, 2 boxes of size twos, 3 boxes of size threes, and 4 boxes of size fours. You may need a few extras in there, but knowing what I know now, this is what I intend to do for baby #2. (Note: I also don't anticipate having a baby smaller than 9 lbs. So 1 box of size ones may not cut it for you, but you'll probably be getting a bunch at your baby shower anyway!)

While I think cloth diapers are lovely for those who chose to use them, I unfortunately have no advice in that arena.

As far as wipes go: some people make their own... I personally purchase them in the largest quantity available. You will never run out of these. In fact, I wish I had purchased more of them before she was born than I did. Stupidly I futzed around with those little three packs they have at the grocery store (you can see them in the picture above!) Skip that nonsense and get the most outrageously huge box you can find. Please. You won't regret it!

Okay, I had to buy some girlie stuff!

An Assortment of Onesies

Now, I recommend an assortment because you might not know which ones you like best until that little baby butt is firmly snuggled into them. I personally didn't care at all for the traditional three snap bottom variety until she was bigger and in 6 months clothes. The footsied zip-up ones were definitely the way to go for me. (Personally, I adore Carter's. They are super consistent and fit amazingly well. Her wardrobe is definitely 90% or more Carter's.)

Mohawk hair! =)

A Baby Bathtub

Okay, I'm a little more hesitant to say you need this. If you plan on co-bathing or have a sink you trust, you probably don't need this. I don't think you'd regret this purchase, though. I found it made bath time way more manageable than any other alternative so in my mind, you need this. I had the simple Fisher Price "Whale of a Tub" variety and we both loved it.

Bundled up in some light blankies. =)

Blankies

Honestly, you will probably get a million and a half of these, but more than likely they will mostly suck. I'm sorry, but the truth can sometimes hurt. I would pick up at least one pack of large muslin receiving blankets. (I personally adored Aden + Anais.) I still use these to this day. They are light, swaddle well, and wash wonderfully.

Probably the only time you'll see her full name on this blog! =P

A Place to Lay Baby Down

Whether you chose to bed share or not, it is nice to have at least a pack and play to lay baby down in because unless you have the patience of a saint, you will need to lay your baby down somewhere for at least five minutes one in a while. I personally chose to crib sleep after the first month to save my sanity and we got into a great routine very easily. Cribs don't have to be expensive! I got this lovely one off of Amazon for $150.

Snoozing in the car. =)

Carseat

At least in the US, you can't leave the hospital without one, so go ahead and get one early. You don't have to worry too much about which ones you chose, but go ahead and read the reviews and pick one you feel comfortable with and that fits your car. Just so you know, car seats do have expiration dates! And you should avoid buying them second hand because if the seat has ever been in an accident it has to be replaced and the seller might not be upfront with you about it's condition.

Personally we bought one of the snap-in seats for my husband's car and a convertible rear to forward facing for my car. So we had the best of both worlds. =)

Nursing Bra

This is obvious, if you intend to nurse. But I thought I'd throw it in anyway. (Sorry, no picture of me in one haha!) I purchased my nursing bras when I had to buy a bigger size due to all those lovely body changes pregnancy puts you through.

And that's really it! Those are all the things you absolutely need before bringing a baby home. It's really not such a daunting list. If you start with these, then you can expand out from there. Look for the next part in the series next Monday, What You Really Need Part 2: The Things You Probably Want.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! We liked Amazon Mom for diapers--they would automatically send diapers, but would shoot an email before they shipped, so if I needed to change sizes, I could. And Costco was the place to go for wipes! I think we only bought wipes twice from Costco before we started "using" the potty (and then we got the flushable wipes, also at Costco, for when we have whoopsies).

    But, just to add to your car seat section--go pick them up before buying if you are getting an infant carry seat! We were thinking about getting the Peg Perego, and then I picked one up... It was heavy WITHOUT the baby in it (almost 10 lbs heavier than the Maxi Cosi we got).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is GREAT advice about physically testing out the car seats before purchasing. I never thought of that, unfortunately. I purchased mine because it went with the jogging stroller I wanted. =P Man that thing was heavy, though -- especially with a nine lb baby!!

      I heard Amazon Mom was awesome about diapers but my husband hates auto-ordering anything so we never tried it out.

      Delete